Port-Toulouse was called St. Peter's then named Port-Toulouse and resumed its original name of St. Peter's.
Some sixty families arrived outside the fort at Louisbourg between 1714 to 1735. Many of these families settle at Port-Toulouse. This port enjoyed this name for a short while. It had been known as St. Peter's and it resumed that name after the British took over the Ile Royale/Cape Breton. The families that migrated to Port-Toulouse had come from Port-Royal, Mines Basin, Cobeguit, Beaubassin, Cap-Sable and Mouscoudabouet. The names of these Acadians were: Aubois, Bonapetit, Belliveau, Boucher, Boudart, Boudreau, Bourisse, Bourque, Comeau, Corporon, Coste, doucet Dugas, Fougère, Gaudet, Gnetil, Henry, Jassemain, Landry, Langlois, Lapierre, Larose, Lasonde, Latreille, Lavigne, LeBlanc, Martin, Michel, Mirande, Petitpas, Pitre, Poitiers, Préjean, Richard, Samson, Savoie, Simon, Tillard (Tétard), Vigneau.
The Acadians were not the ones who favored this part of Ile Royale - this seemed to be the central location where most Mik'mas could be found. Port Toulouse had its greatest number of settlers in 1726. There were 45 families and almost 275 individuals.